A lovely muffin which is so easy to make and quick too if you opt to use shop-bought crumble for the topping.
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g fresh rhubarb – cut into small chunks
- 200g plain flour – sieved
- 125g buttermilk
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium egg – beaten
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g crumble mixture (or oats crumble mixture)
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Place 12 muffin cases into a muffin tray
- in a bowl mix the sugar with the chopped rhubarb and set aside for 20 minutes for sugar to dissolve slightly.
- After 20 minutes, sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, buttermilk and oil to the rhubarb mixture and combine.
- Add the sieved ingredients and mix well.
- Divide mixture equally between the 12 muffin cases.
- Sprinkle over your preferred crumble mixture.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with either custard, whipped cream or ice cream.