- 300g Caster sugar
- 120g unsalted butter – room temperature
- 250g plain flour – sieved
- 2 medium eggs – beaten
- 250ml buttermilk
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp distilled vinegar
- 2 tbsp red food colouring
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- Frosting of your choice
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Place 20 muffin cases into 2 muffin trays.
- In a large bowl, using an electric whisk, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the beaten eggs, buttermilk, red food colouring and vanilla essence and combine.
- Stir in the vinegar and bicarbonate of soda.
- in another bowl, combine the sieved flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Gradually add to the wet mixture, stirring to combine.
- Spoon into muffin cases. Do not overfill as this mixture is very light and rises well.
- Bake for 20-25mins until tops of cupcakes are springy to the touch.
- Transfer to a cooling tray.
- Add frosting of your choice. I used buttercream.