Pumpkin Pie is a traditional recipe for Thanksgiving in America. The first Pumpkin “Pie” was made by early American colonists around 1621 in Plimoth Plantation but was served in a hallowed out pumpkin rather than a pastry crust. The pastry was added in the 19th century.
Such an easy recipe. I’ve cheated and used shop bought pastry cases which are great to keep handy in the cupboard.
Serves 12 (The ingredients makes enough for 2 pies – reduce ingredients if you only want to make 1)
- 1 can of pumpkin puree (Tesco – World food aisle)
- 1 x 410g can evaporated milk
- 175g soft dark brown sugar (can use light brown)
- 2 eggs – beaten
- 2 x 18cm sweet shortcrust pastry cases
- 2 tsp of Pumpkin Spice
- pinch salt.
- Preheat oven to 180C fan assisted.
- Into a large bowl, whisk together the puree, milk, sugar, eggs, spice and salt.
- Pour into 2 pastry cases
- Cook for 25-30mins.
- Decorate and serve.