- 225g Soft unsalted butter
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g Self Raising flour
- zest of 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 1/2 lemons
- 85g caster sugar
- Preheat Oven to 160c fan assisted, 180c non fan
- in a large bowl beat together the soft butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy (can use a whisk)
- Add one egg and beat into butter mixture, repeat until all 4 eggs are mixed into butter mixture.
- Mix in the flour until all combined
- Add zest from 1 lemon and mix
- Grease or line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Spoon in mixture and level. Tap loaf tin onto work surface a few times to remove any air pockets.
- place in oven and cook for 45-50mins until skewer comes out of cake clean.
- Remove from heat but leave in tin. Prick the cake with a skewer several times.
- Combine the juice of 1 and a 1/2 lemons with 85g caster sugar and whisk until sugar dissolved.
- Pour over the still warm cake and leave in tin until cooled.