Makes approx 30 fingers
for Mac Cheese
- 225g Dried Macaroni Pasta
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to season
for the crust
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices white bread blended into breadcrumbs
- In a saucepan bring water to boil and add the dried macaroni. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 7-10 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter and add 4 tbsp flour and whisk until a light roux forms.
- Add the milk and seasoning. stir gently over a low to medium heat until milk sauce starts to thicken.
- Add cheese into milk sauce in stages, and stir.
- Add cooked pasta and stir into cheese sauce ensuring evenly coated.
- Remove from heat and pour into a flat baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Using a pallet knife or back of wooden spoon, spread mixture evenly across baking tray.
- Place in freezer for 2 hours.
- Remove from freezer, turn baking tray over and then remove parchment paper from the macaroni mix.
- Cut into finger sticks.
- Coat in flour – egg – breadcrumbs.
- Heat pan with deep oil (or use deep fat fryer) and fry fingers until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen towel and ready to serve.