- 100g unsalted butter – room temperature
- 125g plain flour – sieved
- 125g light muscovado sugar
- 1 medium egg – room temperature
- 100g plain chocolate chips
- 25g good quality cocoa (a cheap cocoa can create a bitter taste)
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- vegetable oil for brushing
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat.
- Add the sieved flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa and mix until all combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Form a large ball. Cover with cling film and place in fridge for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 170c fan.
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Divide mixture into 10 equal sized balls.
- Place onto baking tray, 5 cm apart.
- Brush tops with a little vegetable oil.
- Bake for approx 10-12 minutes until crust cracks but centre still looks soft. (do not overcook or centre will be hard). Sometimes if the mixture is a little too stiff it may need a little help after 5 minutes to slightly flatten the ball mixture with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from oven but leave on baking trays for 5 mins, otherwise cookies will break.
- Move to cooling tray.