I researched what a Cavatini should be as there are so many variants on the internet. A true Cavatini is made of 3 types of meat, usually a minced beef and 2 Italian salami meats, 3 types of pasta and 3 cheeses.
- 500g minced beef
- 440g jar spaghetti sauce (ragu)
- 80g salami (I used Ventricina & Milano)
- 200g mozzarella – cut into chunks
- 75g grated parmesan
- 100g grated cheddar
- 1 green pepper – chopped
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 200g mushrooms – chopped
- 400g can Italian chopped tomatoes
- 100g Farfalle pasta
- 100g Rotini pasta
- 150g Macaroni
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add 3 types of pasta into a large saucepan of salted boiling water. Cook for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan or skillet, brown mince and drain fat.
- Add onion, pepper and mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add ragu sauce and chopped Italian tomatoes, stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the pastas and stir until combined. Add half the grated cheese and stir.
- Into the base of a greased ovenproof dish, pour in half of the pasta and meat mixture and press down gently.
- Place on top a layer of alternating salami’s.
- Sprinkle over the other half of the grated cheese.
- Pour the rest of the pasta and meat mixture on top of the salami and cheese.
- Top with the mozzarella chunks and cover with tin foil to avoid pasta drying. Place in oven for 20mins.
- Remove from oven and remove tin foil. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and put back in the oven for another 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving with salad or garlic bread.