- 175g self raising flour – sieved
- 125g light brown sugar
- 115ml sunflower oil
- 1 large egg – beaten
- 175g grated carrots (net weight)
- 1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250g icing sugar
- 125g unsalted butter – soft
- 60g crushed walnuts
- Preheat oven to 140C
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with a paper case (or grease).
- On a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl whisk together the sunflower oil and eggs.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture.
- Stir in the carrots until all covered with cake mixture.
- Pour into the loaf tin and spread to edges of tin with a wooden spoon.
- gently tap loaf tin onto work surface o release any air pockets in the mixture.
- Place in the oven for 45-50 minutes until skewer comes out clean from centre of the cake.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 20 mins before transferring to a cooling tray.
- Whilst cooling, prepare the topping.
- Into a large bowl add the soft butter and gradually add the icing sugar, whilst beating.
- When cake has cooled, spread (or pipe) icing over the top and sprinkle on crushed walnuts.