I was going to call this soup Butternut Squash and Apple soup but when I was cooking it the colours reminded me of our Autumn weather this week with the leaves changing colour. So instead Ive called it Autumn Chunky Sweet Soup.
If you dont like a sweet soup then you can remove the apple and the cinnamon and replace with extra curry powder.
- 1/2 butternut squash – peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks.
- 2 onions – chopped
- 2 dessert apples – peeled, cored and finely sliced
- 3 sticks of celery – chopped
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1L vegetable stock
- 120g basmati rice (uncooked)
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder (more if you prefer hot)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper to season
- Heat oil in a large pan
- Add onions, apples, celery and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, curry powder, cinnamon and season to taste. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes and the vegetable stock.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add rice, stir, cover and simmer for another 20 minutes until rice is cooked.